It is necessary to know the Akshaya Patra facts to understand the organisation better. The Akshaya Patra Foundation was a derived inspiration from a commitment taken up by his Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. He one day, saw a group of children fighting with dogs for scraps of food and moved by this, decided that no child within 10 miles of the centre will go hungry. At the time his grace was in Mayapur, Calcutta. Eventually, this thought resulted in an inspiration to start a mid-day meal program in India through Akshaya Patra in Bangalore.
So let’s run through the Akshaya Patra facts, and learn more about it:
- The Akshaya Patra Foundation was stared in 2000
- In 2003 it became implementing partner of Mid-Day Meal program in India
- Akshaya Patra in Bangalore reached out to more locations such as Hubli, Mangalore, Mysore and Jaipur in 2004 by setting up new kitchens
- The organisation became a case study at Harvard Business School
- The Akshaya Patra Foundation reached children in deep jungles of Nayagarh, industrial town of Bhilai and more
- In 2009 it touched serves of 500 million cumulative meals through Mid-Day Meal program in India and has served its Billionth meal in 2012
- Organisation was awarded Gold shield for excellence in Financial reporting by ICAI 5 Consecutive times since 2008 to 2013 entering it to the ICAI ‘Hall of Fame’
The Akshaya Patra Foundation reaches 1.3 Million children across 10,631 Schools spread in 9 states across India. Akshaya Patra strives to ensure effective implementation of the Mid-Day Meal program in India, for which it has made its intellectual property public. Akshaya Patra in Bangalore through its centres in 22 locations provides training opportunities to many stakeholders interested in or engaged in implementation of Mid-Day Meal program in India. Training centres topics such as food safety, quality and personal hygiene.
Along with the Government
One of the most important Akshaya Patra facts is that the organisation is on the steering committee of the Mid-Day Meal program in India, working hand in hand with the Government of India for effective implementation of the scheme. With this opportunity The Akshaya Patra Foundation has been able to work closely with the government and have a dialogue with top bureaucrats on the nitty-gritties of the scheme. Akshaya Patra in Bangalore is the headquarters, at which the key members of the organisation are based, who communicate with the Government of India. However each of Akshaya Patra centres across 9 states works closely with the respective State Governments of the location.
These are just a few Akshaya Patra Facts, the organisation runs worlds’ largest Mid-Day Meal program and is aiming at growing by leap and bounds as it treads towards achieving its mission to reach 5 Million Children in India by 2020. Please visit The Akshaya Patra Foundation at any location to know more.