The inauguration of Food Safety and Quality Lab in Ahmedabad is a testimony that The Akshaya Patra Foundation has always considered hygiene, cleanliness and quality as the most important factors while providing mid-day meal. It has always employed innovative and process optimising methods to provide quality meal to the children of the nation. The latest Akshaya Patra news gives an overview of the recently inaugurated lab.
The Food Safety and Quality Lab in Ahmedabad is the first food safety and quality lab of Akshaya Patra. The sponsorship of Jamsetji Tata Trust along with the technical assistance received from the Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysuru makes this lab an example of philanthropic involvement towards feeding young citizens of the country.
The Food Safety and Quality Lab in Ahmedabad is equipped with high precision equipment for detailed evaluation of food right from the stage of procurement to the stage of serving. Akshaya Patra news stated some of the technologies and features of the Food Safety and Quality Lab in Ahmedabad:
• Atago make table top refractometer to analyse total soluble solids, fat purity, adulteration of oil etc.
• Shimadzu make spectrophotometer to evaluate DNA/protein concentration, absorbance, transmittance and the like
• Imported Duran make glassware to undertake physical and chemical analysis for maximum accuracy
• Precision weighing scales of 0.0001g accuracy to weigh chemicals for microbiological and chemical analysis
• Latest equipment for measuring microbial count by using filtration technique with pre-sterilized membranes of 0.45 microns
• Incorporation of fume hood and exhaust systems to maintain clean and contamination free environment
• All the test results will be recorded in real time.
The inauguration of the Food Safety and Quality Lab in Ahmedabad saw the presence of Dr. Sanjiv Phalsankar, Programme Director, Tata Trusts; Dr. Alok Srivastava, Senior Principal Scientist, Department of Food safety and Quality Control Lab; Representatives from the Food and Drugs Control Administration, Government of Gujarat; Madhu Pandit Dasa, Chairman, The Akshaya Patra Foundation; Chanchalapathi Dasa, Vice- Chairman, The Akshaya Patra Foundation and Jaganmohan Krishna Dasa, Unit President, The Akshaya Patra Foundation, Gujarat.