Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Save tax by donating towards mid-day meal

Did you know that donating towards mid-day meal for school children can give you tax benefits? Yes, you got that right! You can save tax by donation to mid-day meal programme. Mid-day meal is a free school lunch programme initiated by the Government of India. Under this programme the children of Government schools avail free lunches at school.

There are many NGOs across the country that implements this programme under the guidance of the Government. Mid-day meal for school children has been able to attract increased enrolment and has also been able counter drop-out rate. The Akshaya Patra Foundation is one of the NGO implementing this programme in nine states. So when you save tax by donating to Akshaya Patra, you are helping 1.3 million children to get nutritious meal and education.

Akshaya Patra has been serving mid-day meal for school children since June 2000. It started the programme by feeding 1,500 children in five Government schools of Bangalore. Today, the same NGO feeds 1.3 million children across nine states of India covering 10,050 Government schools.

Akshaya Patra runs this programme in a Public-Private Partnership and receives Grants and Subsidies from the Government. Ending March 2013, the Government contribution to the NGO has been 51% thereby leaving 49% of the funds to be raised by the NGO. Hence, fund raising is in important activity to run and sustain the mid-day meal programme. The donor too can save tax by donating to Akshaya Patra under section 35AC of the Income Tax Act of the Government of India.

An Akshaya Patra donor can save tax by donating above Rs. 500 towards the NGO. With the advantage of saving tax by donation to the charity, the donor is actually helping the charity to provide mid-day meal to more school children. In turn, the donor is also offering a helping hand to many underprivileged children to receive at least one wholesome meal and a day full of knowledge.

The impact of The Akshaya Patra Foundation mid-day meal for school children is seen across all feeding locations. The success stories of the beneficiaries and teachers tell the tale of Akshaya Patra’s impact. The Annual Report of the Foundation will give you a closer look at the functioning and achievements of the NGO. Akshaya Patra has been the five times consecutive winner of the prestigious ICAI Gold Shield Award, and award that by itself talks of the Foundation’s level of transparency.

Each wholesome meal can nourish an entire generation. Each academic year can change the face of tomorrow. So, why wait? Take a step towards helping mid-day meal for school children reach its full potential and also save tax by making a donation towards Akshaya Patra.

Donate for Children Today!! Save tax Today


Post a Comment